Considerations for Building a Shade Structure Along the Coast
Jun 22nd 2022
The Coastal Climate allows its residents to enjoy moderate temperatures for longer than most. There are several considerations when planning your shade structure depending on the coast. These considerations include: maintenance, hardware, shade coverage, high wind risk, and building materials quality.
- Maintenance: How much time are you willing to invest to maintain your structure? Vinyl and Fiberglass structures are maintenance free.
- Galvanized Hardware: In coastal climates, galvanized hardware can corrode, opt for stainless steel.
- Shade Coverage: What time of day do you need the most shade? Our pergolas can be customized to support more rafters and runners spaced more closely together for increased shade. Canopies overhead and Side Shades are also available.
- High Wind Risk: Are you in a high wind risk area? We offer a high wind risk package. It includes 4 powder coated stainless steel L brackets per post, Simpson H3Z rafter ties, 3/8” GRK screws.
- Know Your Flood Zones: Worried about flooding? Additional ties, straps and heavy duty anchors may be necessary to ensure your structure will stay put.
- Choose Better Quality Building Materials: Building materials exposed to the elements can take a beating. If you buy cheaper materials, you’ll lose the savings you realized by having to replace them sooner. We are confident in the quality of our structures. Our wood and vinyl pergolas and pavilions are guaranteed for 10 years. Fiberglass structures have a lifetime warranty.
One of featured dealers, Jordan Daneker of Evolved Designs LLC.com is very experienced with pergolas and pavilions throughout the Outer Banks, NC and its surrounding areas. His mission is to get North Carolinians outside by creating custom outdoor living spaces.
Starting with an on-site design consultation, continuing with design rendering and revision, Jordan and his team work hard to create a beautiful and functional outdoor space for you. Their services include: patios, walkways, driveways, landscape installation, fire pits, outdoor lighting, retaining and freestanding walls, water features, pergolas and pavilions, outdoor kitchens, drainage and tractor work. The photos in the article are some examples of structures Jordan Daneker has done for our customers.